Apr 25, 2011

M for Metallic: The Tutorial

The painted metallic-looking-letter-M on my son's desk didn't always look this way...

M

Desk Area

When I first brought it home, it was a plain-looking-wooden-letter-M.  No stain.  No color.  Nothing.  So I painted it... light blue.  Then I leaned it against the window in his bedroom when we lived in VA (you can see his old room here).

The light blue color was a good fit at the time, but now in his new room here in TX, I wanted to add a little edge to the M.  So I looked in my paint stash and found a small bottle of Folk Art brand paint in Metallic Taupe.  Perfect!  I gathered the M, a brush, and the paint and got work.

M

I brushed one light and even coat on the top of the M, right over the blue.

M

M

Once the first coat of paint was dry (it didn't take long), I brushed paint along a few of the edges and corners. Then I brushed a little paint in the middle to darken some areas and give the M a little depth.

M

After the paint was dry, it looked like this... a little more rough, tough and manly than the previous plain-baby-blue color.

M

M

And, here it is propped on the desk... I'm lovin' the glow that a small amount of metallic paint adds.

M

Interested in seeing more of this room?  Before I started decorating the room, I searched for bedroom ideas, then looked for fabric, created a plan, made a duvet cover, painted the closet, layered the bedding, created a gallery wall here and here, set up the desk, hammered a nailhead bulletin board together, and today added the metallic-looking-M... the room is almost done, but there's still more to come.  I invite you to follow along with me!

This post is linked to the Centsational Girl, Tip Junkie, The Trendy Treehouse, The Lettered Cottage  Fingerprints on the Fridge, Remodelaholic and The DIY Showoff.

15 comments:

  1. Hello. First time to your blog, I love it! That mettalic taupe is a great color, and the letter looks perfect with the two tones.

    Great desk set up too, I'm going to read more about it from your links :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metallic taupe is my favorite.... it looks good on anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new color is much more manly:) I love the shine too! Stopping by from Remodelaholic...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good painting is like good cooking; it can be tasted, but not explained.Painting is an illusion, a piece of magic, so what you see is not what you see.

    Thanks and Regards
    TheCosmeticBoxes
    Custom Lip Balm Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

    Rusforum.com
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  6. The light blue color was a good fit at the time, but now in his new room here in TX, I wanted to add a little edge to the M. So I looked in my paint stash and found a small bottle of Folk Art brand paint in Metallic Taupe. Perfect! I gathered the M, a brush, and the paint and got work. polycotton sheets , queen bed comforter set , alkaram bed sheets , fancy nancy twin bed set , buy duvet covers online , vicky razai factory , 3 piece sofa covers , velvet sheet set , velvet razai cover

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

    Website
    Hpage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get buy custom Window Boxes wholesale at affordable prices with many design options from PackHit. We offer free shipping and free design support on all orders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CBD Packaging Store provides custom bath bomb boxes in all shapes and colors. You can get your boxes at wholesale prices. Call us now to place an order with free shipping services from us. We are here 24/7 to assist you with packaging solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an amazing post. Thanks for sharing informative information. keep up the good work. I appreciate your efforts.
    Exceptional Benefits of Utilizing Hemp Boxes as a Marketing Tool

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...